A graphic card in laptop is a hardware that produces the picture you see on the monitor.
It is liable for rendering a picture on your monitor, it does this by converting data into signals that your monitor can understand.
Your graphics can produce a better and smoother image, this is naturally very important for gamers and video editors.
Types of graphics card:
Laptops with integrated graphics range from Rs 20,000 to Rs 2, 00,000.
These laptops are graphically ample to play video, make animation, slideshows & presentations as well as to perform multiple exterior operations.
They can be used for gentle image modifying however not used to run complicated CAD software program or to play heavy games.
While Intel-powered models CPU (central processing unit) and an integrated GPU (graphics processing unit) come with shared video RAM (usually no more than 128 MB), some AMD-powered models with APUs (accelerated processing unit).
Laptops powered by AMD APUs are graphically extra effective than Intel models with an integrated graphics card however not as successful as laptops with discrete graphics cards.
2. Discrete Graphics for Image and Video Editing:
Laptops with discrete graphics cards start at around Rs 40,000 and run in lakhs.
Gaming laptops certainly come with discrete graphics cards because of the graphical load placed on them.
Laptops typically purchased in the Rs 40,000 and Rs 70,000 range include AMD Radeon Pro graphics cards or Nvidia GeForce MX 10 or newer MX 20 Series graphics cards with up to 4GB of dedicated video RAM available.
Some thinner and lighter models also come with it, such models can be used for some light image and video editing.
We can also play video on high resolution, power external displays, and some video games that are not too graphically demanding.
3. Discrete Graphics Card for Gaming and Professional Editing:
Once you enter the realm of discrete graphics, you understand that you’re serious about graphical processing.
All self-respecting gaming laptops use a discrete graphics card that is typically extremely efficient because of the CPU.
Whereas AMD provides its Radeon RX series of graphics cards, Nvidia provides its GeForce GTX 10 series, 16 series, and the RTX 20 series of graphics cards.
The dedicated video memory on these cards goes as much as 16GB on higher-end models.
Laptops with gaming-grade graphics cards can be used for video games, AR / VR gaming and working mixed reality apps, heavy video rendering devices such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Power Director.
They can also be used to create animations using Blender and Autodesk Maya.
Depending on the performance level of the graphics card, these laptops can run all popular games such as Crisis 3, Apex Legends, and Badminton V.
The demerits of such machines is that they cause too much heat and occupy too much space, so they are difficult to find in a thin and light frame.
Advantages of graphic card in laptop:
- You can run the game at better FPS.
- Far better GL and texture processing is possible.
- You may prefer to do animation (using Blender) if it has a better card like 1070 or 1080.
- You can speed up processing types that can use CUDA cores with both physical processor cores.
- Your laptop is future-proof in most aspects.
- RTX laptops have ray-tracing power, so you won’t need a better PC to run games at 60-120FPS.
- Higher graphics card laptops are cheap and you will get gaming PCs at a similar price.
- Battery power in graphics cards is slightly better.
Related Article: How to check laptop configuration?
Disadvantages of graphic card in laptop:
- Laptops with graphic cards always command a stiffer price compared to integrated graphics.
- With a graphic card, a laptop can consume more energy.
- Laptops with graphic cards always come in massive and bigger editions.
- With their power consumption characteristics, a laptop with a graphic card is easy to heat.
Related Article: How to measure screen size of laptop?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Many motherboard manufacturers embed the graphics card within the motherboard.
Every desktop and laptop computer needs a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) of some sort.
The graphics processing unit (GPU) or graphics card or video card is a specialized electronic circuit that accelerates the creation and rendering of images, videos, and animations.
Generally, a graphic card with high-speed memory and processor will benefit a user to run graphical data easily and quickly.
This will prescription the factors behind a high-end graphics card.